Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Making Grape Juice

Last year while we were living at Scott's aunt and uncle's house, I was able to make a ton of grape juice from the grapes they had in their yard.  I made about 24 jars and there was still a ton of grapes left on the vine.  There was just too many grapes.  It was really fun to learn how to make grape juice and pure grape juice is 100x better than grape juice from the store.  We actually drank quite a bit and even gave a few jars away (so much for food storage).  I think we had only about 5 jars left before I made this new batch.  Thank goodness for a grandma with extra grapes.

So, like I said my grandma has grapes as well and she was kind enough to let me pick the last of her grapes to make grape juice for Scott and I.  I wasn't able to make as much as last year, but I was just grateful to make some more.  I only got about 4 pictures during this process, but it's better than none.

 Grandma and I cleaned out her grape vines.  There were no more grapes left on that vine when we got done.  This was the start of the grape juice making process.  We dumped the grapes into the sink and rinsed off leaves, twigs and I even found a slug.  I also pulled off as many grapes as I could from their stems.  It makes it to where you can fit more grapes in the juicer, but it doesn't really matter if the stems are left on.

This is the juicer!  I'm not sure how old this is and if there are newer versions out there, but this did the job. I actually borrowed this when I made grape juice last year.  The bottom part where the long tube is coming out, is holding boiling water.  You're pretty much steaming the juice out of the grapes.  The tube is where the juice comes out and into the jars.  I didn't get a picture of that process being done since you need both hands to do it.

This is the top of the juicer where the grapes go in.  We filled that top as full as it could go.  There is a lid that goes on top once you have all your grapes in.  Then you just sit and wait!  It took me about 3 1/2 hours to do 11 jars of juice.  It did take some time to wash the grapes and then it just depends on how quick the grapes lose their juice.  It was good to spend time with grandma and Scott was one happy husband knowing we got more grape juice to hopefully put in our food storage.  Who knows how many more opportunities I will get to make grape juice?  Either way, it was fun!

All 11 jars of delicious grape juice!

2 comments:

  1. Growing up, I had a neighbor with multiple grape vines so we'd end up with bottles of yummy juice too. if you ever want to have a "fancier" drink, just add sprite to a bottle of the grape juice and you're in heaven! Nothing quite compares!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Apple juice tastes really good with the grape juice as well!

    ReplyDelete