Monday, October 13, 2014

October General Conference

General Conference this year had some great messages.  I wasn't able to actually take notes this time, but I love that people post so many quotes from conference on Facebook.  It was a little difficult to listen to the morning session on Saturday as Scott was working and Kylie needed my attention.  So, I mostly played with her with conference in the background and tried to listen when I could.  I was really able to listen well to the Saturday afternoon session which was nice as there were some wonderful talks that I'm glad I heard.  I didn't listen to any of the priesthood session either as I was taking care of Kylie again and Scott was coming home from work.  Here are some quotes from the talks that I heard as well as enjoyed from Saturday.
Boyd K. Packer gave a great talk about the atonement.
I love this quote about testimony.
Dallin H. Oaks gave a wonderful talk about loving those who disagree with us.  There are quite a few things going on right now (women "demanding" the priesthood, gay-marriage laws being passed, etc.) that can cause contention between people (whether of our faith or not).  I love every quote by him.
I loved this talk by Tad R. Callister.  It is the one talk I really needed to hear.  I sure hope that Scott and I can teach Kylie (and any other future children) the important lessons in life and raise her right in the church.  It was a good reminder to me to make sure to start teaching Kylie the simple gospel things now (praying, going to church, showing pictures of Christ, etc.). 
 Elder Holland also gave a wonderful talk about doing what we can to help the poor.  It's hard to not judge or criticize others situations when it looks like they deserve it.  I love the first quote as it does put things into perspective.  The Saturday afternoon session of conference was my favorite out of all of them.

I was able to watch the morning session of Sunday conference, but didn't really hear the afternoon session at all.  So, the quotes that I have are only from the morning session.  I'll have to read through the afternoon talks when they come out in the Ensign.
I liked Elder Nelson's talk about sustaining the prophets.  Thinking about it reminds me of this scripture: D&C 1:38 "What I the Lord have spoken, I have spoken, and I excuse not myself; and though the heavens and the earth pass away, my word shall not pass away, but shall all be fulfilled, whether by mine own voice or by the voice of my servants, it is the same."
Conference gave me a good spiritual uplift.  I love knowing that the gospel is true and I am proud to be a Latter-day Saint.

1 comment:

  1. You can download the Gospel Library app on your phone, it is free, and read the general conference talks already.

    ReplyDelete