Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Creamy Lemon-Pesto Chicken Pasta

Time for another pinterest update! This was a spur of the moment let's make this tonight recipe and it turned out really well!  Scott and I had just ran 6 miles at the gym and then went grocery shopping, so we were starving and the best way to replace all that energy is by getting carbohydrates and pasta is a great way to do that.  Since this was so spur of the moment, I didn't follow this recipe exactly.  I didn't do the marinade, which I'm sure is delicious, but is hard to do for a weeknight dinner.  I didn't change much, but I like the changes I made and I want to remember them.  Here is a link to the original, but this is my version of this Creamy Lemon-Pesto Chicken Pasta.

2 skinless, boneless chicken breasts

2 Tbsp. butter
1 tsp. minced garlic
2 Tbsp. flour
1 cup milk
Juice from half a lemon (approximately 1 Tbsp.)
Packet of pesto sauce mix (.5 oz)

6 oz. spaghetti, angel hair, linguine, any type of long pasta

1 tomato,diced

Season your chicken breasts with salt & pepper and grill until done (165 degrees). I used a George Foreman grill to do this.

While the chicken is grilling, cook pasta according to package directions; drain. Set pasta aside and keep warm.

Meanwhile, prepare the pesto sauce. Melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Stir in garlic and cook about 30 seconds. Whisk in flour until it thickens and bubbles, then whisk in milk and lemon juice. Continue to whisk mixture and cook until slightly thickened, about 5 minutes. Add whole packet of pesto sauce and mix well.

Slice the chicken into strips, pour sauce over your noodles and then top with chicken and garnish with tomatoes.

It was pretty yummy and it was filling without being too heavy.  At the last minute, I decided to take a picture, so it's not the best because it was with my phone, but it at least gives you an idea.

2 comments: