Thursday, August 14, 2014

Kylie's 1st Birthday Party

We decided to have Kylie's party the day before on Sunday.  Scott had to work the Saturday before and I didn't want to interrupt people's schedules by doing the party on her actual birthday, which was a Monday.  Doing it on Sunday worked perfectly and we had it later in the evening, around 7pm.  For once, I was glad that we have early church as I had plenty of time to prepare for the party.  I made the invitation on my computer and printed it at Wal-Mart.  It turned out super cute.
The theme for the party was elephants with gray, pink and white colors.  Of course, I took to pinterest to look for ideas on decorations and cakes.  I was totally planning on making Kylie's smash cake, but then I saw this picture:
Cutest cakes ever, right?!  I showed Scott and he suggested I should ask the yard sale sites on facebook to see who could make them and for what price.  I got a lot of responses, but I decided to only respond to those who actually messaged me.  One person who messaged me got recommended by quite a few people, one of whom is in my ward, so I felt comfortable going with her.  She priced the cake for $85 at first and no way was I paying that much.  So, I decided to just do the top layer (and no banner, just polka dots) and that was $30 with the smash cake thrown in for free.  Perfect!  I'll pay $30 for a beautiful elephant cake.  Both cakes turned out amazing and everyone loved them.

This elephant is pretty dang perfect.
Besides cake, I asked my friend Nichole to make some cookies as well.  She's just starting out on making these types of cookies, so she had never done elephants before.  I think she did a fabulous job!!
I decided last minute to make cupcakes as well.
For decorations, I made another bunting banner, a ONE banner for her high chair and a month by month picture banner.  I am liking making bunting banners now as they are pretty easy and such a fun decoration.  I just wish fabric wasn't so expensive nowadays.  
I am proud of how the ONE banner turned out.  It was a pain to cut out the letters though, but I'm glad I found some fabric glue so I didn't have to sew those on.  I got inspiration for the look of the month by month banner from pinterest.  I really loved how that one turned out too.  Everyone had fun looking at how Kylie has grown.  My mom told me that I needed to keep it, but I think I'll add a 12-month picture to it before I store it somewhere.
I put Kylie down for a quick nap before guests arrived so she would be able to be awake for the festivities.  It worked, but when Kylie wakes up she is very cuddly so she got a little overwhelmed with everyone.  So much attention was on her and she didn't know what to do.  She was fine after a little bit and then had fun running from person to person.  It was so great to have everyone come!  I felt so much love seeing everyone in our home.  I can't express enough how grateful I am to everyone that came for Kylie.  Kylie is sure one special girl.
The birthday girl!
Mom and dad with the 1-year old!
Cuties
Nichole, Joni, Tracy & James
Bryan, Max & Natalie
Aaron
Caroline & Jodelle
Kyle & Brianna
Rachelle is here from Italy!
Cousins!
Cousins!
Fish face
Always a happy girl.
One of the funnest parts of a 1st birthday party is seeing how the baby does with the cake!  It was cute to see how reserved Kylie was with the cake at first.  Once she got going, she loved it! 
After most of the guests left, I put Kylie in her pajamas and then had her open presents.  She received so many fun toys, books and cute outfits.  She sure loves having some new toys to play with.
It was a special birthday for a special girl!

No comments:

Post a Comment