Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Allergic Reaction

So, last Wednesday I discovered a consequence to being allergic to Maddie.  My eyes had been a little itchy and nose a little runny ever since we brought Maddie home.  I was hoping that my eyes were itchy because my contacts were old and that my nose was runny because I was getting a cold.  I needed to have an eye appointment so that I could order contacts and I went in on Monday.  The new contacts felt great, but my eyes still felt a little itchy.

I've never really had allergies before, so I was bad and kept rubbing my eyes every time they itched.  It was early afternoon on Wednesday and I was rubbing my eyes, but this time I felt like I couldn't stop.  As I kept rubbing, my eye started to feel a little funny.  I looked in the mirror and I could see that the inside of my right eye was swelling up!  I ran over to Scott and showed him my eye.  I took out my contact and we went immediately to the eye doctor. 

Scott said my eye looked like I had been hit in the face.  He mentioned taking a picture and I said no immediately.  I didn't want a picture where my eye looked so awful, but now I kind of wish I had just so you could see how badly it swelled. (It actually got to the point to where it was hard to blink, but that didn't last too long thankfully.)

Luckily, we only had to wait a few minutes before the doctor could see me.  He prescribed me some steroid drops and told me that I couldn't wear my contacts while I used the drops.  I had to put the drops in 4 times a day, meaning that I couldn't wear my contacts at all.  Ironically, I had ordered glasses when I went in on Monday, but it would take about a week to get them.  So, I had no way to see while I was using these drops.

The swelling went down pretty quickly and the only place I had to go was to a family bridal shower for my cousin.  I had Rebecca pick me up since I couldn't drive and it was pretty funny to have to ask my family who people were or what things looked like.  I had to stick my face in things to be able to read or see what it was.

Since the swelling went down so fast, I was able to put my contacts in by Saturday.  I haven't had any problems since, but I've been super careful not to touch my eyes after touching Maddie.  We've also kicked Maddie out of our room, so she won't sleep on my head anymore at night. 

I'm glad that the swelling went down pretty quickly so that Maddie can stay around.  We do love that kitty and the entertainment she brings us.

Oh, since I don't have a picture of my eye, here's some pictures of the cat.
 Sitting in the laundry.
I don't know why this is a funky color, but I like this picture of Scott & Maddie.
One of Maddie's favorite places to sleep.  She loves the sink.

No comments:

Post a Comment