Friday, April 25, 2014

Easter

Easter this year was fun!  Last year, we had everyone over on a Saturday and dyed eggs, had a scavenger hunt and played games.  It was fun and we wanted to be with family, but we didn't want to do such a large event again this year.  So we just had dinner with Andrew & family, Brianna & Kyle, Aaron and mom.  I was in charge of making cupcakes, but I decided to hard-boil and dye eggs as well as make the "bird nests" again.  Scott worked the night before, so Brianna & Kyle came to church with Kylie & I.  After church we took some pictures.  I didn't intentionally buy this dress for Easter.  We just went shopping at Ross one day and I saw it and bought it.  I was originally planning on having Kylie wear the dress she wore for family pictures, but this one is just too perfect for spring.
Picture perfect with our pretty tulips in the background!
My little model.
The cupcakes I made were these cookies 'n cream filled from the Your Cup of Cake cookbook.  The cupcakes are very similar to these, just with a different filling.  They were good, but a little too time consuming in my opinion.  You had to make a separate cake batter, filling, ganache and drizzle.  They sure do look pretty though and my brother Andrew did mention that they look like a hostess cupcake to him.
Everyone came over for dinner at 4:00pm.  We had ham and lamb chops that we got from my Aunt Carolyn & Uncle Brian who have a sheep ranch.  I thought it was pretty appropriate that we had lamb on Easter. We also had potatoes (that look a little gray from the potatoes getting too much oxygen), asparagus, corn, rolls, strawberries and a hard-boil egg.  Andrew and his family were tired from earlier events in the day so they left pretty quickly after dinner.  The rest of us played Settlers of Catan (well, my mom didn't as she was watching Kylie).
Brianna & Kyle dying eggs.
Cooking the lamb chops!
Pretty good tasting!
Table setting with eggs on their nest.
Singing happy birthday to Brianna.
We also did Easter baskets for each other.  Kylie's basket had a new bib, a pacifier holder and some eggs.  She obviously couldn't eat the candy, but liked to shake the eggs to hear the candy in them. Scott's had candy and white t-shirts and mine just had delicious candy.
Easter is also a great celebration of Jesus Christ and his resurrection.  On Facebook, people were posting the week before about things that they have or can do because of him.  It was nice to have that reminder daily that Christ really does have such an influence in our lives and how every blessing that is in my life is because of his sacrifice.  Christ is the true meaning of Easter.

1 comment: