Thursday, April 17, 2014

Recipe Updates

I have been doing good at trying out new recipes!  I've tried out some new breakfast, dinner and dessert recipes.  I need to start saving and printing out the recipes that I really enjoy so that way if anything happens to the website, I still have the recipe.  Here's some of what I've tried.

Breakfast:  Saturday morning of general conference, I made this Cinnamon Cinnabon Cake.  It was super delicious! It made two cakes so it was a lot for just Scott and I, but will work well for a crowd.
Just the other day, we wanted pancakes for breakfast and I usually make them with a mix.  This time, I decided to look and see what I had on pinterest.  I saw these Banana, Nutella and Oatmeal pancakes.  I had every ingredient needed to make it!  I don't ever have buttermilk, but I just make it with milk and some vinegar.  The recipe calls for 1 cup of buttermilk, but I only had 3/4 cup milk left in the jug and it worked out just fine.  These were super yummy and I will totally make them again.

Dinner: During a healthy week of recipes, I made these Spaghetti Squash Boats.  If the spaghetti squash had been a little more tender then it would have tasted really yummy.  Because the spaghetti was a little undercooked, it just didn't work for me.  I'll have to try it again though because the combination of all the ingredients was really tasty.
I also did a crock pot week of recipes. I made crock pot chicken taco bowls, crock pot pizza pasta and crock pot sesame chicken.  The only one I took a picture of was the sesame chicken, but it wasn't even the best recipe.  Scott really enjoyed the taco bowls.  It was super easy to put together with ingredients that you usually have on hand.  Scott made burritos with the leftovers when the rice had run out.  I burnt the pizza pasta as I turned the heat up to make sure it got done in time before Scott had to go to work.  I do want to try again without the burnt taste.  The sesame chicken really didn't taste like sesame chicken.  As I was putting the sauce together it just seemed strange that it called for tomato paste and that is what threw off the whole taste.  It was fine, I didn't hate it, but it definitely wasn't sesame chicken.
Dessert: I made two really delicious desserts in the last two weeks.  I was in the mood for something sweet and I was looking through my pinterest board with like 270 pins of recipes I want to try.  I realized while I was looking through that I wanted something with Oreos, cookie dough and cheesecake.  Well, this recipe, Oreo Chocolate Chip Cheesecake Cookie Bars, had all 3! I didn't top mine with the Oreo crumbs or drizzled chocolate, but it was still so addicting!  I couldn't stop eating them so next time I make them, I'll have to make sure to give them away.
 
Just this past Sunday, I made a quick decision to make a treat to take over to Brita and Lane's for a game night.  I had been hearing about using brown butter in recipes and how good it tastes.  So, I tried these Brown Butter Chocolate Chunk Peanut Butter Cookies.  When you brown butter, it starts to have a nutty smell to it so I'm sure it adds that flavor to whatever recipe.  This one had peanut butter in it, so the brown butter blended well with it.  They were gone super fast and just melt in your mouth.  Scott says that these cookies are ones to be eaten with a glass of milk on hand.  Cookies and milk is always a classic combination.

No comments:

Post a Comment