Sunday, December 18, 2011

Christmas Goodies Part 1

Last week was a busy, yet productive week of Christmas gift shopping, wrapping presents and baking lots of goodies.  I just have a few more last minute stocking stuffers to get and that is it, which is good since Christmas is in 7 days!!  Crazy how quickly it came up, but I am glad because I am ready for a break from teaching.

At the first of the week, I decided to try out this fudge cake in a jar.  It actually turned out really well!  I had some extra jars from making jam, so I didn't need to go out and buy any.  I actually didn't need to go out and  buy anything for this dessert, which was super nice.  The cake is from scratch and it is super rich.  I used semi-sweet chocolate chips and took the eggs out of the fridge and put them on the counter for about 2 hours to get them to room temperature.

The blog where I got this recipe from has a whole post about the jars and how since you are using jars for canning, they are resistant to high temperatures, so there really is no worry about the jars breaking in the oven.

The recipe calls for using a chocolate ganache filling and frosting on top.  I didn't have any peppermint extract or heavy cream to make the ganache, so I improvised.  I had made these candy cane brownie bites (another post on those) earlier and that recipe calls for these special candy cane Hershey kisses.  I had some left over, so I melted those kisses and used that for the filling.  I only had enough Hershey kisses to fill two of the cakes and I gave both away, but the ones I gave it to said it was delicious.  For the rest of the jars, I just melted plain Hershey kisses and used that in place of the ganache. 

The frosting I would like to try the next time I make these.  I think they taste pretty rich already without frosting added to them, so I left the frosting off.  These fudge cake jars are cute, individually sized and such an easy gift to give someone for any special occasion.  I enjoyed making these and giving them away.  Now, for some pictures.
With the melted candy cane Hershey kisses.

With the melted plain Hershey kisses.
The 4 jars to give away!




1 comment: