Thursday, January 23, 2014

Lemon Chicken & Spinach Pasta

I tried out another pinterest recipe tonight.  Before I talk about it, I do have to say that I am loving being a stay-at-home mom! It will take some time to get a routine down, but I already love the opportunities I have to cook at home.  I hope to keep checking off new recipes off of pinterest for breakfast, lunch, dinner and dessert! I'm so excited! :)

Back to the recipe.  I had to think of something quick for dinner involving chicken.  I wanted to do something a little different and we were thinking pasta.  I have a great alfredo sauce recipe from school, but I've made it before and I was in the mood to try new recipes.  I found this recipe for Lemon Angel Hair with Chicken and Spinach (I decided to shorten the name a bit).  I wasn't sure about it as I was missing some key ingredients. I didn't have any half and half or fresh lemons.  I did have whipping cream and lemon juice.  I figured I'd experiment and try it out and see how it worked.  I know that fresh lemons have a stronger flavor and the recipe does call for adding lemon zest also.  To substitute, I did about 2 Tbsp. of lemon juice and I thought it was the perfect amount of lemon flavor.  I'm not sure I'd like the recipe with fresh lemon because the flavor would be too strong.

The recipe is a healthier one, especially with the use of half and half and I know that whipping cream does have a little more fat.  I think the whipping cream worked great and probably made the sauce a little more thick.  I have nothing to compare it to though since this is my first time making the recipe.  I did do about 1 cup of the whipping cream.

I also just did the chicken my own way and definitely did not do 3 Tbsp of oil. I probably could have added more spinach and will next time.  All in all, it was pretty good!  Scott really liked it and wants to put it on our regular rotation.  I like thick sauces that cover the pasta and I was surprised that I liked it since there wasn't a lot of sauce on it.

I'm trying to eat a little healthier (although that darn sweet tooth still has me wanting something sugary every day!) and I think this a great dish that I feel good about eating. 
I don't know why it's staying sideways.

3 comments:

  1. I pinned this recipe too! It looks really yummy. I'll have to try your suggestions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So I was totally going to try this recipe this week, but the blog is apparently in violation of blogger's terms and services and is no longer available to readers. Did you save the recipe anywhere by any chance?

    ReplyDelete