Friday, January 17, 2014

New Job Title

There has been a big change here in the Fletcher household! A change Scott & I are both super excited for.  As of Friday, January 17th, my job title will no longer be teacher.  When people ask what I do for a living, my answer will now be a stay-at-home mom!! 

This decision did not come easily, but it was made quickly.  I always had lingering thoughts in the back of my mind ever since I went back to school about quitting.  As a teacher, it just wouldn't be right to quit in the middle of a semester, but there is a semester change in January that would work fine.  I would go back and forth in my mind about quitting at semester or waiting until the end of the year.  Quitting at semester would be short notice, but I would be able to be home with Kylie and not regret missing out on anything at home.  Also, if Scott got into the master's program, we most likely would have to have someone watch Kylie and I really did not want child care to be an option.  So, me staying home would make sure that didn't happen.  If I stayed until the end of the year, we would have more money coming in to save.  I would also be able to enjoy all the end of the year school activities for one last time.

I always worry about money and it was a big part of me going back to work in the first place.  It wasn't as big though as me not wanting to look like someone who can't handle something hard.  Working and being a mom is tough! And a lot of women do it.  I have quite a few friends who do it and I admire them for doing so.  I feel like they are strong in being able to handle doing two full-time jobs.  I didn't want to look like I was giving up, in a sense.

And then I thought about what would be best for Scott, Kylie and I.  And the best thing for our family is for me to stay home and raise our daughter.  After telling people at work that I was leaving at semester, I never once got the feeling that I was giving up.  I received so much support for wanting to stay home with Kylie.  I knew that the decision I was making was the right one.

I am excited and ready to not miss out on any of my baby's life!

No comments:

Post a Comment