Tuesday, November 4, 2014

My Little Elsa

It was a no-brainer to have Kylie be Elsa from Frozen for Halloween.  She loves the movie and Elsa's dress is the most popular one for girls to dress up in.  Since Kylie is still young, there aren't really any dresses in the stores in her size.  It was even a little tricky to find patterns to make a dress for a 14 month old.  I do want to keep up my sewing skills, so I decided to make her dress.  I wanted something simple so I searched pinterest for ideas.  I found a website where all the pieces to the costume are separate.  It was catered to an older child, but I was able to accommodate the pattern to fit Kylie very easily.  Instead of sewing sleeves, I just bought a white onesie to wear underneath the top and skirt.  The sparkly top should have been an easy sew, but the material I bought made it a little difficult.  Because of the sequins, it made folding and sewing tricky.  The sequins would sometimes get stuck while I was sewing and my thread would bunch.  I tried the best I could to fold evenly, but it ended up being lopsided after I sewed it.  I had to unpick and resew one part and it looked a little better, but it was still uneven.  I know that it's just a Halloween costume and people won't look that close, but it's hard not to make things perfect.  I didn't want to make it too tight around Kylie so she could grow into it some, but it ended up being a little too big, so I had to sew two strips of velcro on the back, which I don't necessarily like the look of.

That same website had a link for a YouTube video on how to sew a simple skirt.  The video was so helpful!  Directions were easy to understand and super simple.  The skirt was originally going to be plain blue, but my mom had some leftover table fabric from Brianna's wedding that matched perfectly!  I love the way the skirt turned out.  It's the perfect length and just looks so clean.

The fabric I bought for the cape was plain and I found some fun ribbon to put around the edge.  The ribbon didn't give the cape as much sparkle as I thought it would, so I kind of wish I had bought a more sparkly fabric.  The cape didn't hold up very well either as it had two holes in it before Halloween even came!  I'm actually not too sad about the cape as whenever Kylie wears the outfit, I probably wouldn't put the cape with it anyway.  I'm glad I didn't sew the cape to the top and decided to use velcro.
I thought about making her a headband with snowflakes, but I never got around to it and that's okay.  Her white headband she had worked just fine and her sparkly gray shoes matched great!  I love how the whole outfit came together and it was so fun to hear people exclaim "oh, cute! It's a baby Elsa!"  Kylie had no idea that she was Elsa from Frozen, but she does love the outfit (I think because the top is so sparkly)!  If she sees it, she'll grab it and show it to me which means that she wants to wear it (she does it with her shoes too).  If Kylie loves it, then the work and effort put into her costume was totally worth it.
Wearing her costume at story time!

No comments:

Post a Comment