Tuesday, November 4, 2014

October Goals

This is going to be a long post with lots of pictures, but that's because October was such a busy month!  We did a lot of fun activities and I loved it.  October has so many fun activities that I'm pretty sure November is going to be more low-key.  I'm having a hard time finding any activities that are cheap and free.  There are so many sports (basketball, hockey, football, some soccer), but it can get pricey to go to sport games.  Anyway, I'm glad that we did so many fun things in October that it would probably make up if we don't do much in November.

My house project was to put up the Halloween decorations and then try and clean out my closet of some clothes I don't wear anymore.  I took pictures and put them on the yard sale sites on Facebook and I've only had one person come to buy 2 skirts.  I might just have to keep trying or donate them.  My craft and Kylie project was making her Elsa costume (on a separate post).  Since October was so busy, our "date night" consisted of going around and "boo-ing" families in the ward.  I don't count it as a true date night, but it was something.  Apparently I wasn't the only one who had the idea to "boo" families as 4 or 5 of the ones we had in mind had already gotten treats.  I do wonder if  someone knew that it was us because we got "boo-ed" the next day.  I made 4 different types of treats while making grape juice and it got to be a little hectic trying to do both at the same time; so I'll make sure not to do that next year (if we do it).
The treats I made plus pumpkin chocolate chip cookies.
We received homemade salsa and chips!
Kylie and I were able to go see a soccer game and we had a friend get together.  We played the newlywed game again and it just didn't seem as fun as before for some reason.  Scott and I did not do well and we had a hard time keeping Kylie occupied.

On October 1st, the zoo had a free admission day and so I went and met Natalie and Bryan (along with Bryan's mom) there.  I might get a zoo membership when Kylie turns 2 as it is a small zoo to go through and I think Kylie would really enjoy seeing the animals often. 
The next week Becky came into town and we did a lot of fun activities which are all written on a separate post.  The week of the 12th, the new aquarium also had a free admission day so again, we met Bryan and Natalie there.  I'm glad that we were able to check it out for free as it wasn't all that exciting.  Aquarium-type animals just don't interest me as much as animals that are at a zoo.  I also had a movie night with my friend Amanda that weekend and we had soup and bread bowls and watched Hocus Pocus.  It's pretty much tradition to watch that movie every Halloween.  I might even made having soup and bread bowls while watching it a tradition too.  It just felt like a perfect fall night.
Cute otters playing.
Penguins!
This was a fun bridge in the rainforest portion of the aquarium.
Kylie insisted on pushing Max's stroller.
On the 24th I took Kylie to trick or treat at the Olympic Oval just up the street.  We got there at rush hour and had to wait in line for about 30 minutes outside.  There weren't many vendors to trick or treat from and the only activities were a bounce house and ice skating.  I stood in line to get a picture with Kylie, but after getting candy from like 5 tables, we left.  I'm glad that wasn't her only trick or treating experience as it wasn't all that fun (luckily, it was free!).
Our plans on when we wanted to go to Cornbelly's didn't work out, so I ended up buying pumpkins at Wal-Mart instead of a pumpkin patch.  It actually worked out better as I got 2 pumpkins for $2 (I price matched).  We carved pumpkins and Kylie wasn't super interested in the pumpkin guts.  She played with it for a few minutes and then was done.  The jack-o-lantern face is Scott's and the cat is mine.
Like I said, the day we wanted to go to Cornbelly's didn't work out as it was only open in the evening and the first game of the World Series was the same day.  The tickets I bought were only good for Monday-Thursday and Cornbelly's was only open during the day on the weekend.  So, we had to go at night and went the day before Halloween.  It was a colder evening and I was silly and completely forgot to bring a jacket for Kylie! Because it was so cold and late, we didn't stay long and weren't able to see everything that was there.  I'll be making sure of the times that it's open next year so we can go earlier in the day and in the month when the weather is warmer. 
I think October might become one of my favorite months!

No comments:

Post a Comment