Sunday, July 1, 2012

Spiritual Saturday

Last night Scott had a pretty awesome experience at work and though he's told it multiple times in person, I thought we should have it in writing so that this experience will always be remembered.  So, here it is in his own words:

Saturday we were able to enjoy a wonderful time with family by having a baptism for our niece, Annika.  While at the baptism, one of the questions came up of our testimony.  We were asked to write our testimony for Annika.  In writing our testimony for Annika, it gave me a chance to reflect and to think on what I believe.  In looking over some of the things that have gone on in my life, I realized that I had never met a prophet.  I realized that there were many things that I was taught at a young age that influence my decisions.  Many of those decisions were based on righteous decisions and in making those righteous decisions, I realized I was happy.  So, I had wrote to Annika that following the Spirit would help her know what was right and what wasn't and to get a true testimony of the gospel for herself.

As I was at work later on that evening, I began to reflect on the fact that I hadn't met leaders of the church.  In beginning my work shift, I heard a gentleman come off the elevator and say "How's it going Captain?"  As I looked up, I saw a familiar face.  I realized that it was Thomas S. Monson.  He made a joke with the staff around me saying  "If only there was a red head in the room", then smiled at me and said "Oh, I guess we have one!"  Walking around, you could feel the Spirit in his presence.  He was a very joyous man whose countenance brightened the room.  Throughout the remainder of the shift, I would walk down the hallway where I knew he would be just so I could catch another glimpse.  When it came to the end of the night, I made sure to stay close to the hallway so that as he left, I could say good-bye.

As he was leaving, I called to him saying "President Monson, would it be okay if I shook your hand?"  Smiling, he outstretched his hand and asked "Son, what's your name?"  "My name is Scott Fletcher."  "Where are you from Scott?"  "I'm from Riverside, California."  "I know where that is, I was in the military in San Diego.  That's a pretty place."  "Yes, it is."  "Well, you have a good rest of the night."

In shaking his hand, even though no infamous words were said, at that point just knowing that I had shaken the prophets hand, I knew even more so that he was a prophet of God.

This is Emily again.  Pretty cool story if I do say so myself, although I will admit that there is still is a ting of jealousy because I myself have never met a prophet either.  Maybe one day I'll get to experience something like this as well.  Scott did say that even though he knows Thomas S. Monson is a prophet, you get this different perspective and feeling once you've met them.

Anyways, Annika's baptism was great and we are proud of her!


3 comments: