Saturday, October 12, 2013

Ultimate Oreo Cupcake

Oreos are one ingredient in baking that is very versatile.  There are quite a few recipes out there that involve using Oreos and I've even tried a few.  I've made Oreo Stuffed Chocolate Chip Cookies, Oreo Truffle Surprise Cookies, Oreo Truffles, White Chocolate Covered Oreos (the spider web ones I make for Halloween), Cookies and Cream Cookies, Chocolate Chip Cookie Stuffed Oreos (there is a difference between this and the first one mentioned) and Cookies & Cream Ice Cream (recipe is one I teach at school)!!

Now that I write out what I've made with Oreos, it sure sounds like I like baking with them and I guess I do!  I think Oreos give a nice hint of chocolate to a recipe without being overpowering.  I don't think there's a recipe that I've made with Oreos that has tasted bad.  The recipe itself might not have turned out exactly like it should, but the taste is still delicious.

I have also made an Oreo cupcake and it turned out okay, but I didn't like it enough to continue making it.  This past Sunday, we were going to have dinner with some family and my mom asked me to bring cupcakes.  I started looking at my pinterest recipes to see if any jumped out to me.  I wanted to make more than just the basic cupcake and have it not be complicated.  Nothing on pinterest sparked my interest, but I did notice that I had a few that involved Oreos, so I decided to make my own Oreo cupcake recipe.

The Ultimate Oreo Cupcake was born!  Just having a new baby, it was nice to have this cupcake be quick and simple and I think pretty problem free.  My frosting wasn't exactly smooth, but I didn't really care to make it perfect.  It tasted fine, but I'm sure the appearance would look better with smoother frosting.  I just have the hardest time getting perfect buttercream frosting every time I try.  I'll have to keep practicing, but it sure gets frustrating when the outcome is unpredictable.  If you're like me, you could always buy canned white frosting and that would work just as delicious as well.  Word of caution with these cupcakes; they are pretty sweet, so make enough for friends to share!  Here's my recipe.

Ultimate Oreo Cupcake

Ingredients:
    1 box white cake mix & ingredients to make mix (eggs, oil)
    1 package Oreos
    For frosting:
        1 stick of butter (1/2 cup)
        2 1/2-3 cups powdered sugar
        2 Tbsp. milk
        1 tsp. vanilla

Directions:
     Pre-heat oven according to cake mix directions.  Make cake mix according to directions.  Put cupcake liners in pan and spray with cooking spray (this helps the Oreo not stick to the paper).  Separate 24 Oreos and put the half with the most filling in the liner, with filling side up.
Take the other half of the separated Oreos and put them in a plastic bag.  Crush Oreos into little pieces.  Add crushed Oreos to cake mix.  Scoop mixture into cupcake liners, filling 2/3 full.
Bake according to cake mix directions or until inserted toothpick comes out clean.  Let cupcakes cool completely before frosting.  

Frosting directions
     Place one stick of butter in mixing bowl and beat with electric mixer until creamy.  Once creamy, add one cup of powdered sugar at a time, beating in between each cup.  Add milk and vanilla after first cup of powdered sugar.  If frosting is too liquid, add more powdered sugar.  If it is too stiff, add some more liquid.  Play around with it until you get the right consistency.  
     Take the Oreos that you did not separate and use a food processor or blender to crush Oreos into powder.  Gently fold the powdered Oreo dust into your frosting.

Pipe frosting onto cupcakes.  Top with crushed Oreos, mini Oreos or a whole Oreo.  Whatever suits your fancy.

Yield: 24 cupcakes

1 comment: