Monday, July 6, 2015

4th of July

The 4th of July was fun this year!  I made sure that Scott didn't work this year since he's worked every 4th since we've been married.  The plan was to go swimming at the rec center just up the street from us, but Brita extended an invitation to go swimming at her in-law's house.  I thought about it the morning of and figured that free and friends sounded more fun.  Kylie loves swimming, especially if she has a friend to swim with.  We stayed a few hours and then headed home to have dinner with my mom and Aaron.  I love this holiday as the food is just so patriotic and fun!  I was excited to try out some new recipes since I didn't do much last year.  Instead of hamburgers and hot dogs, we had chicken & veggie kabobs with grilled corn.  Kabobs aren't a hard thing to make, but they're just the type of food you make for a crowd, not one or two people.  We also had watermelon and blueberry wands; red, white & blue strawberries; cupcakes and a cake.  Everything was delicious. 

After dinner, we set off some fireworks that my mom bought and everyone, but me, went to the park to fly the kite my mom also brought.  We found out that Kylie does not like fireworks up close when we went to a neighborhood firework party.  She might have been okay with the big ones in the sky, but I didn't want to risk her being upset and deal with the crowds that come with going to see fireworks (especially while pregnant).  After Kylie went to bed, we played a round of Ticket to Ride with the movie Independence Day on in the background.  Like I said, it was a very enjoyable 4th of July! Despite all the bad things going on in the country today, America is still a great place to live and I am grateful for all who have sacrificed to give us what we have.
Patriotic dinner the next night,

No comments:

Post a Comment