Tuesday, December 8, 2015

Missouri Vacation Days 5 & 6

On Sunday, we hung out at my dad's house all day. My dad and Roberta wanted a family picture, so we took some just in their backyard with Kyle and Brianna's camera. It is too bad that Scott wasn't able to come out and be with everyone. He was certainly missed. After pictures, Kylie ran around outside for a bit and got her energy out. She wasn't able to run around outside right away and that's why she's not very happy. That girl loves being outside and loves to run. Future cross-country star? I sure hope so. Heavy persuasion to do it will be used once she gets to high school. ;)
Dad took Aaron to the airport and we searched for some quiet activities for the kids to do. Roberta pulled out the play dough and Kylie loved it! She doesn't really make shapes with it, but she loved pulling it apart and rolling it out. It was fun to see her enjoy it so much. I think the most favorite toy in the house was Roberta's pull-up bar. All the kids loved pulling and swinging on it. More game playing into the night and then we headed off to bed.
Andrew & Rebecca left early Monday morning and we all needed to be out of the house by 10am. I headed off to the airport at 11am while Kyle and Brianna weren't leaving until 5pm. Dad had a hard time finding a parking spot at the airport, so he parked in a handicap spot and we rushed inside. Security was more stressful here because Jordan was hungry and he started crying as I was standing in line at the belt. I couldn't feed him because I wanted to wait until they checked the breast milk, so there wouldn't be any concern about me feeding him and them taking the bottle away. Once we got through security and found a seat, things calmed down. We didn't wait long to board and Kylie was much better at not yelling to get out of the stroller. This flight, we did have a layover in Denver and needed to get off the plane. The flight to Denver was fine and we had enough time in Denver to get some lunch and for me to pump. I love that the Denver airport has a top level where it is quiet and hardly busy at all. I went up there and was able to find a corner to pump without worry. I also was able to get Aladdin downloaded onto the Ipad and Kylie watched that during the layover. I stated to get a huge headache during the layover and that made it difficult for the flight to Utah. Kylie was great and fell asleep, but I was feeling so exhausted. The whole vacation and lack of sleep finally caught up to me. I hated arriving at the furthest gate away as I was just ready to see Scott and get in the car to go home. Once I found Scott and his dad, we headed to the car and Scott took care of me at home. I collapsed on the couch while Scott took care of the kids. It was so good to see him and have his help. A week without my husband is doable, but I wouldn't do it again unless it was truly necessary.
 A few other notes about the trip:

Exclusively pumping is hard to do while on vacation. Every day we went somewhere and while I always brought my pump with me, it was hard to find a time and private place to pump for 20-30 minutes. I always had enough food for Jordan, but I didn't like not pumping as often as I should. Exclusively pumping is hard, but it's worth it to me that Jordan gets breast milk.

Everyone was a great help with Jordan and Kylie, but I have to give a major shout out to Kyle and Brianna. Not only did they let Kylie sleep with them for a few nights, but they helped get her dressed, take a bath and feed her. Brianna wanted to hold Jordan all the time (probably something about being pregnant herself--congrats again guys!) and I love that he is okay with anyone holding him. Since Kylie had a little bit of a hard time being on vacation, the extra help was a life-saver. Kylie took to Kyle quickly and he was a great substitute for Scott. She was always asking where Kyle was and would sometimes listen to him better than me. It's a blessing to have family that's always willing to help.
The trip was worth the effort it takes to travel with two kids by yourself. I love getting a taste of where I grew up every year and I hope that we are able to do it as long as we can. Thank you dad and Roberta for getting us out there and for being wonderful grand-parents to Kylie and Jordan. I'm glad that Kylie got to spend more time with you and get to know you better. Hopefully it won't be another year before she sees one or both of you again.

No comments:

Post a Comment