Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Baked Sweet & Sour Chicken

Scott wants me to blog about what we had for dinner last night, so it's another pinterest recipe update!  Since we still can't eat out, I didn't want to deprive Scott of his favorite Chinese food, so I made this Baked Sweet & Sour Chicken and fried rice.

The recipe with more pictures can be found at the link above, but I'm going to post the recipe here.

Baked Sweet and Sour Chicken
The chicken coating:
3-4 boneless chicken breasts
salt + pepper
1 cup cornstarch
2 eggs, beaten
1/4 cup canola oil (I didn't use 1/4 cup of oil.  I just put enough oil in to cover the bottom of the pan. 1/4 cup would be way too much, I think.)
The sweet and sour sauce:
3/4 cup sugar
4 tbs ketchup
1/2 cup distilled white vinegar
1 tbs soy sauce
1 tsp garlic salt
       Start by preheating your oven to 325 degrees.  Cut your chicken into cubes. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Dip chicken into the cornstarch to coat then dip into the eggs.  Heat your oil in a large skillet and cook your chicken until browned but not cooked through. Place the chicken in a 9x13 greased baking dish. Mix all of your sweet and sour sauce ingredients in a bowl with a whisk and then pour evenly over the chicken. Bake for one hour and during the baking process you will need to turn the chicken every 15 minutes. (I put on a timer for 20 minutes to turn.) Garnish with sesame seeds, if desired.
 
Fried Rice
 I used the fried rice recipe on the website as a guide, but really made it my own. 
 
2 cups rice, already cooked
Sesame oil (enough to coat the bottom of the pan)
Baby carrots cut into small pieces
Green pepper, chopped
Green onion, chopped
Onion, diced
1 clove garlic, minced
Ham, cubed
3 eggs, scrambled
Soy sauce, to taste
 
On medium high heat, heat oil in a large pan.  Add carrots and green pepper.  Let stir-fry for a minute, then add green onion, onion, garlic and ham.  Let stir-fry until tender.  Either push all ingredients off to the side and pour in eggs and scramble in same pan or scramble in a separate pan and add to mixture. (I scrambled the eggs in a different pan since the one I was using wasn't big enough.)  Add rice and soy sauce and blend altogether.  Enjoy!
 

It was "Mmm, mmm, good!"

No comments:

Post a Comment