Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Halloween Party: The Food

The food is actually one aspect of the party that I wasn't the most stressed about.  Scott might think differently, but I only started to have a "stress out moment" when the frosting for the cupcakes turned out weird and I was losing time to get things done.  Other than that, I think I made things simple enough to where I wasn't pulling my hair out trying to get things done or perfect.  There were a few people who weren't able to make it to the party and it seemed like there was a perfect amount of food. Well, except for the sweets...I feel like I'm going to be eating those forever.  Anyway, onto the food (I bet if you click on the picture, you will be able to read the labels of the food better):

It seems like Mummy Dogs are a popular Halloween food.  I didn't care to do those, so I went for the smaller version.
 Scott was awesome to find these special black & orange Halloween chips for me at Wal-Mart.  They were yummy.
The guacamole was completely gone when everybody left.  Scott doesn't like guacamole, but it's a great party food.
Whenever I throw any kind of get together and need vegetables, I always go for the already made trays at the grocery store.  It's just easier to buy and less work for me to do.
I had bought mini water bottles for a lesson on water for my 8th graders and had some left over, so I brought those home to use.  They turned out great.  I just printed off the labels and taped them on (they say Haunted H2O).  We also had warm apple cider to drink, but I forgot to get a picture of that.
This isn't the best picture of the apples b/c I was in a little bit of a hurry, but they turned out to be a hit as well!  While making the Spiderweb Oreos, I had melted too much milk chocolate and didn't want it to go to waste.  I remembered that I saw somewhere (pinterest or facebook) an apple slice with chocolate coating on the skin.  So, I took 3 apples and covered them in chocolate.  They sat for a couple of hours, the chocolate hardened and they sliced up perfect.  The chocolate and caramel combination was delicious! 
Whole table shot! Also, Scott had just bought me those flowers that day!
I made these Spiderweb Oreos last year for Halloween and they are a perfect combination of easy, Halloween-y and yummy.  I used Halloween special Oreos (as pictured below) and then put dollar store spider rings on top. 

These witches hats were another easy treat to make and I didn't have any orange frosting, only chocolate, so they turned out to be very rich tasting.  We teach youth Sunday School now (16-17 yr. old) and brought the leftovers for our first day of teaching.  Needless to say, our kids think we're pretty awesome. :)
I have also made these Candy Corn Cupcakes before and I think they turned out way better this time, except for the frosting.  I don't know what it is about homemade frosting that's so finicky, but sometimes I really dislike it and wish I would have bought frosting in a container.
Whole sweet table view!
Like I said before, I kept things pretty simple which really did make the whole party go smooth and feel more relaxed.  I think that what I've decided is the most stressful part about any party or gathering we have, is the food.  Now, here's to hoping I can keep it simple enough for Thanksgiving dinner!

1 comment: